The Federal Government offers a wide range of benefits for EBT holders including a free tablet to stay connected to the modern digital world. However, a lot of people don’t know how to claim their devices. In this guide, we’ll explain how to get a free tablet with your EBT card through the best providers.
Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) is a Government program that focuses on providing underprivileged and low-income households with free food, groceries, and other essential services. Being from an EBT-qualifying family, you automatically become eligible for certain programs that offer additional perks.
- 1 Can You Get a Free Tablet with EBT?
- 2 How to Get a Free Tablet with EBT?
- 3 Providers That Offer Free Tablets to EBT Holders
- 4 Final Words
- 5 FAQs
Can You Get a Free Tablet with EBT?
EBT, which stands for Electronic Benefit Transfer, is a government system that helps low-income individuals and families access essential benefits. It primarily includes the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) perks but there are also other advantages such as ACP, Lifeline, and more.
ACP stands for Affordable Connectivity Program which provides eligible individuals with free or subsidized access to technology and Lifeline offers free internet connectivity. With the help of these programs, people in need can get free tablets for their studies, work, or any other purpose.
If you heard from someone or read somewhere that EBT participants are getting free tablets, then it’s completely true. You can apply to receive a free tablet from a qualifying government provider if you have an EBT card. However, you must meet the minimum eligibility criteria for that.
How to Get a Free Tablet with EBT?
To get a free tablet from the government, you must first have access to the EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) program. After that, you can apply for additional perks which include a free tablet with internet connectivity through programs like the ACP and Lifeline. Once your application is approved, you’re all set.
You will receive your laptop for free at a highly discounted price from one of the government service providers such as StandUp Wireless, AT&T, Verizon, Samsung, Safelink Wireless, etc. Having a tablet without burdening your monthly budget will make your life a lot easier.
You can use your tablet for a lot of purposes. If you’re a working professional, you can use it for your work, or if you’re a student, you can use it to receive quality education. It will also help you in your leisure time as you can watch movies, listen to podcasts, and play games on the device.
Requirements to Get a Free Tablet with EBT
To qualify for a free tablet with your EBT card, you must meet the minimum eligibility criteria set by the FCC (Federal Communication Commission). The FCC has decided on the requirements as it manages both ACP and Lifeline programs that provide eligible EBT participants with a free tablet.
Here are the minimum requirements or eligibility criteria that you must meet to have a free tablet in the United States from the government:
- Must be an EBT Cardholder: You must be an active EBT cardholder to receive a free tablet from the government. If you’re an eligible individual or family but haven’t applied for the program yet, you can submit your application right away and wait for its approval.
- Low-Income Level: You should have an annual household income at or below a certain level, which is usually 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Legal Resident: You must be a citizen of the United States or a legal resident of the nation. Some states also have additional residency requirements.
- Age should be older than 18: You must be at least 18 years old or older to qualify for the government assistance programs that offer free tablets and other benefits. If you’re below 18, you may have to ask your parents or guardians to apply on your behalf.
- Participation in Govt. Assistance Programs: Additionally, your participation in Federal Government assistance programs such as SNAP, Medicaid, Housing Assistance, SSI, TANF, Head Start, etc, will help your application stand out in the eyes of approvers.
These are the basic requirements that you have to meet to get your free or discounted tablet from a Government provider. Sometimes states and counties may have some additional requirements that you’ll have to meet. You can check with your local government offices or social agencies to know about that.
Process to Apply For a Free Tablet with EBT
Now that you’re ready to get a free tablet with your EBT card from the government, here is the process you have to follow. Remember that the specific procedure may vary from one state to another but the overall steps required would remain the same. You can get the basic idea from here.
Step-1: Check your eligibility on the National Verifier website for the Affordable Connectivity Program. If you’re a qualifying SNAP and Medicaid participant, you can skip this step.
Step-2: Visit the ACP website from here, enter your details, provide supporting documentation, and submit your application. Simultaneously, you can also submit your application for the Lifeline program.
Step-3: Select a service provider from the ACP. There are many options available and each of them has a different offer based on your income status. It’s advisable to explore all opportunities and then make a choice.
Step-4: Contact your provider and submit your application to receive a free or discounted tablet. Some providers require you to pay a one-time fee for the device, which is around $10.
Step-5: Once your application is approved, receive your free tablet. Go through the initial setup and then connect it with your subsidized or free internet connection. Start using your tablet.
That’s it. There are several mediums to submit your application for a tablet. The most convenient way is online but you can also send it by mail, fax, or in person. Choose whatever suits you the best.
Providers That Offer Free Tablets to EBT Holders
Several providers offer free and discounted tablets to EBT cardholders under the Affordable Connectivity Program. You can choose the provider that suits your requirements in the best manner. Ensure that the tablet you want is covered under the scheme and check for any contractual obligations.
Here are some of the most preferred providers for free tablets under the ACP:
- Cathcet Communications: Provides a FREE tablet with an 8-inch display, a 32 GB storage capacity, and an 8MP camera. You’ll also get 20GB of free data.
- Moolah Wireless: Provides a FREE tablet that is equivalent to the Samsung Galaxy Tab A8. However, the 10-inch tab comes with pre-installed apps that may collect your data without your consent.
- StandUp Wireless: Provides an 8-inch tablet for only $10.01.
- LTE Wireless: Provides an 8-inch tablet per qualified household and discounted monthly services.
- Whoop Connect: Provides an Android tablet for a one-time fee of $11.
- Rural4G: Provides a free or discounted tablet based on your choice.
- Unity Wireless: Provides a free Smart Tablet with an Unlimited Service Plan.
- Spectrum: Provides a free tablet with certain plans.
- Samsung: Provides refurbished Samsung tablets depending on the stock.
- Walmart: Provides refurbished tablets depending on their stock.
There are several other providers including Verizon, USCellular, T-Mobile, and more. You should check which ones are most suitable for your state. You must make a wise decision while selecting a provider.
Getting a free tablet with your SNAP EBT card is completely possible if you’re a qualifying low-income individual. You just have to qualify for the Affordable Connectivity Program for that and select a provider. You can also couple the scheme with Lifeline to get free or subsidized internet connectivity and telecom services.
Having a tablet can help you in multiple aspects of life as it’s a multipurpose device that can work as a mobile and a laptop. You can use it for studies, work, entertaining yourself, and several other tasks. You can also use it to access emergency services whenever required or to find a source of earning money.
That’s all for this post. If you have any queries, feel free to use the comment box. We’ll be glad to help more.
1. Does the Government give free tablets to EBT cardholders?
Yes, EBT cardholders can receive a free or highly discounted tablet from the government by qualifying and applying for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). Once you’ve applied for the scheme, you can choose a provider to get your tablet for free or at a subsidized price starting from $10.
2. Which providers give free tablets under the Affordable Connectivity Program?
Cathcet Communications and Moolah Wireless are the two providers that offer a table for free to low-income individuals and families under the Affordable Connectivity Program. However, a catch with the tablets of Moolah Wireless is that they come with pre-installed apps that may not be trusted.
3. How to apply for the ACP with an EBT card?
To apply for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), you have to visit the program’s official webpage on the FCC’s website. From there, you can go through the eligibility criteria and enter your details to check if you qualify. If you’re qualified, you can use your EBT card to prove your low-income status.
4. Can you get an iPad with an EBT card?
It’s not possible to get an iPad with your EBT card. However, sometimes Walmart and Amazon may provide old stocks and refurbished devices to low-income individuals under the Affordable Connectivity Program, which may include an iPad. Usually, you’ll receive a basic Android tablet as a benefit of the scheme.
I’m Olivia Smith, a writer who works in a Government Assistance Program. I love helping people and making a difference. When I’m not working, I enjoy reading books, watching rugby, and traveling to new places. Exploring the world and meeting different people inspires me. I’m passionate about supporting those in need and often write about my experiences and thoughts on various blogs.